Sunday 5 June 2011

Ugly Shoes - Always Make Me Smile


When I see shoes like this, I can't help but feel sorry for the people that actually buy them thinking that they are cool and stylish. Granted, I come from the Western world, where views and norms are quite different than most third world countries, but I can't imagine that these could be seen as elegant or stylish in any sane person's eyes. It really makes you understand just how different people views/beliefs/opinions/tastes can be in other parts of the world. I mean, as a designer myself, I feel that if I took these shoes to Northampton to have a factory make them, they JUST might let me leave without giving me a black eye.

So when you think about the guy who actually designed these, in his mind, he was really believing that these were the 'bee's knees!' And the fact that a store may have bought them, to sell them to the public, just goes to back up his belief. It's crazy, that's all I really have to say. I am just glad that, where I live, these are not the only options I have to choose from, because it that were the case, I would just have to go barefoot everyday!! Enjoy the smile you will get looking at these :-)

UPDATE (June 8th, 2011) - It would appear that many people are misunderstanding what I was trying to say in this post, thinking that I was knocking 3rd world countries and saying that 1st world ones are perfect. NOT THE CASE AT ALL! (To back that up, read here - dedicated to 1st world inhabitants) What I was saying was that, IN MY OPINION, the ideology of how one should appear in public, is less conservative in many 3rd world countries as opposed to some of the Western world, such as the USA, where many men are afraid to wear what they truly like due to fear of being ridiculed. That being, I believe that (ugly) shoes such as this are more commonly accepted (in some 3rd world areas) because it is not as frowned upon to wear such things. If you still have a problem, and think that I am being stereotypical, then so be it.


-Justin, "The Shoe Snob"

No comments :

Post a Comment